Monday, May 26, 2008

Fly Fishing in the Snow

I just got back from a few days of Fly Fishing at the headwaters of the Colorado River near Granby, Colorado. Everytime I go to this river I come back with stories and this trip was no exception. I went with Crystal's dad Tom, who has been Fly Fishing in Colorado since he was a kid and each day started bright and early when he would wake me up at about 5:45 am. (you know what they say "Early to bed, early to rise, fish all day, make up lies.") Anyway, the first day, Saturday, was by far the coldest day I have ever been on the river. There was a period of about an hour where it snowed on us as we were standing in the middle of the river tossing around our flies. Freezing!!! The only thing that kept us warm was the fact that we were catching fish like crazy. It was a good first day, I ended up catching about 20 nice trout by 1pm and Tom tripled me and caught about 60 or so, (the guy is good).

The second day started at the same time, but we only went out for about 3 hours. The first hour on the river is what we as fisherman dream of. The water was low and we knew the fish were pooling up in some deeper holes. Luckily I was with someone who knew where all the deep pockets were. Right as we approached the river Tom pointed at a hole and told me to give it a shot, that there were probably some nice Browns laying down in there. Fisrt toss and the strike indicator was gone, after about a 20 second fight I was holding a big, beautiful Brown trout. How does Tom know this stuff?? I continued to fish the same hole for another 10 minutes and pulled out another 5 fish, all good size fish. It was amazing, and it was worth getting up at 5:45 both days.

Here is one rainbow I took a pic of with my phone. It was a beautiful time on the river.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

dude, that is incredible! You have a fishing guide as your father-in-law...I love it. I can't believe that you were fly fishing in the snow, haha.

You lived a fisherman's dream man...one of these days I hope to have half the day you had.